Friday, July 11, 2008

Something big is here!

Well today's the day, and if you're one of the few lucky people not locked into a mobile phone contract you could go out and  buy yourself the iPhone... 

Unless you're boycotting Rogers because of their unfair pricing structures; or if you can't afford the iPhone; or if by the time you get to the store Rogers has already run out of it's limited stock (and claims victory because it has "sold out of iPhones on the first day"); or finally because like so many existing costumers, you are already locked into a contract and can't take advantage of the limited-time price-break on data plans.

What do you then?  Pay a cancellation fee on your existing plan so you can extend your contract with Rogers?  That doesn't make any sense.

That's the situation I've found myself in.  And to add to the frustration, every service rep I talk to, either on the phone or in person at the store, gives me a completely different story.

I've been told I shouldn't pay any cancellation fee, $180 to cancel and start a new contract, and $200 to start a new contract.

I've been told my renewal window starts in October then it was December. I was told to expect a call from a service rep over a week ago to fix the situation but no one has ever called.

And I still don't understand why I have to pay to cancel a contract when I'm actually looking to extend it.  If I add the $30/6GB data plan to my existing contract and sign on to continue both for 3 years why am I being charged up to $200 (or whatever Rogers decide the price is that day) to cancel a contract?  I'm not cancelling, I'm extending my contract.  And it's even worse when the $30 plan is only being offered for 6 weeks until the end of August.  If I wait till to renew at the end of my contract, I'll be forced to get a horribly overpriced data plan.

It doesn't seem like Rogers cares about it's existing costumers.  The focus at HQ must be to sign-up new clients and re-sign ones on expiring contracts.  I'm surprised they have no interest in keeping clients they already have.

I'm starting to think maybe I should just run out my contract and switch to Bell or Telus and sign on to their more reasonably priced data plans and get the Canadian-made Blackberry.


UPDATE:
 I've just heard there is a $35 activation fee for the iPhone.  First I've heard of that.  Great, an other fee.

No comments: